Welcome to 'The Legion' PS3 Clan Forums

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

Six Days in Fallujah

Go down 
AuthorMessage
coroner

PostSubject: Six Days in Fallujah   Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:45 pm

this one is for those of you that think the whole world war things is being a bit over done if it ends up being made read on for more info and some pics

i have copied and pasted info from a few diffrent sites none of which are my words

posted Apr 6th 2009
Sourcing dozens of US Marines from Camp Pendleton's 3rd Battalion, 1st Marine Regiment, the Atomic Games-developed Six Days in Fallujah was announced this morning for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC. Set for release "next year," the third-person shooter takes place during the real-life 2004 US Marine-lead battle for the central Baghdad city and attempts to recreate the battle on a day-to-day basis.

"We replicate a specific and accurate timeline -- we mean six days literally," Atomic Games president Peter Tamte told the Wall Street Journal. "We track several units through the process and you get to know what it was like from day-to-day." Unfortunately, for all the realism touted by the game's developer, Konami's VP of marketing, Anthony Crouts, gives the impression that the publisher's still playing it safe, saying, "We're not trying to make social commentary. We're not pro-war. We're not trying to make people feel uncomfortable. We just want to bring a compelling entertainment experience. At the end of the day, it's just a game."

With little go to on other than the handful of screens you can see below in the gallery, we'll just have to wait and see more on Six Days in Fallujah before we cast any judgments. One thing's for sure: With the battle this game is based around having occurred so recently, its developers have a built-in audience to appease (who grew up with video games, mind you) and we wish them luck.

posted Apr 7th 2009
Only a day has passed since the game was announced, but Six Days in Fallujah is already stirring up controversy among veterans, families and peace groups, according to GamePolitics. The game is set during the real-life US-led battle for control in Fallujah during the rush to take Central Baghdad in 2004, one of the Iraq War's bloodiest campaigns for American and Iraqi soldiers and civilians.

Reg Keys, father of Red Cap Thomas Keys, a soldier tragically killed by an Iraqi mob in June 2003, told the UK's Daily Mail that "glorifying" the event in a video game showed "poor judgment and bad taste" on Konami's part considering the "enormous loss of life" in the Iraq War -- a war that is still ongoing.

Six Days in Fallujah is reportedly inspired by events that occurred during the second battle in Fallujah -- codenamed Operation Phantom Fury (Also, Operation Al-Fajr or "The Dawn") -- which took place between November 7 and December 23, 2004. When it was announced, Anthony Crouts, vice-president of marketing for Konami, said it wasn't the publisher's intention to take a stance on war, telling the Wall Street Journal that, "We just want to bring a compelling entertainment experience."

Unfortunately for Konami and developer Atomic Games, the Battle of Fallujah is widely regarded as one of the most controversial battles in recent history, meaning ducking any associated messages may be an uphill battle.

here are some pics

be one to keep an eye on will let you know if i find out anymore info

DOOMED TO CONSUME
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gr8gam3r

PostSubject: Re: Six Days in Fallujah   Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:47 pm

Hmmm... I'm not impressed with the graphics (some of the textures look streched and bland), but I only make a judgement on them by the time a demo comes out (at that stage there's bugger all they can do to make it look prettier). If the Daily Mail hate it then I guess that's a plus, those idiots think they can comment on bad taste when they praised Hitler during his rise to power. There's only one thing i'm concerned about and that's how representitive the game is gonna be. I think they'll find that a lot of the information will still be classified and the military won't be willing to dish it out. Still, i'll reward the developer some intrest Smile

Hard work never killed anyone... but why take the risk?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shinigami

PostSubject: Re: Six Days in Fallujah   Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:36 am

it's to early to tell on the graphics mate i think when it's finished it will look good, there are still ww2 documents and operations that are classified mate but that has not stop an abundance of ww2 games.
thanks for the info bro i'm up in the air could be good have to wait nearer the launch date to see
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coroner

PostSubject: Re: Six Days in Fallujah   Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:21 pm

yeah i thought they are trying to go with something diffrent so thought i would post will see when trailers and some info comes out

DOOMED TO CONSUME
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gr8gam3r

PostSubject: Re: Six Days in Fallujah   Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:34 pm

There's not that much information on WW2 locked due to the freedom of information act, but it only applies to inforamation that has remained classified for 10 years or so, that's why we know a lot more about the cold war nowdays. Yes, it is too early to comment on graphics, but if the graphics in the demo look like crap it probably means that the game's will too.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
coroner

PostSubject: Re: Six Days in Fallujah   Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:36 am

if the graphics are weak then we will just have to hope they pull the gameplay and story off (oo-er) as that is what really matters

DOOMED TO CONSUME
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gr8gam3r

PostSubject: Re: Six Days in Fallujah   Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:05 am

A game is like a big tasty pie. If the pastry is soft and floppy then the nice filling will slodge around, similairy nobody wants a pastry cooked by a world renowed chef and then have somebody do a big vindaloo fuelled turd for a filling. It's all about balancs. Smile

Back to top Go down
View user profile
coroner

PostSubject: Re: Six Days in Fallujah   Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:14 pm

i get what you are saying as we have said this sort of stuff before i'm sure the graphics are going to be at least to a certain standard i know i can forgive slightly sloppy graphics for phenomenal story and gameplay but if either one of them are off then by all means the graphics come into question as you want to know what the hell they spent their time doing

the thing with graphics is they might look nice now but a year or two down the road is anyones guess

DOOMED TO CONSUME
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coroner

PostSubject: Re: Six Days in Fallujah   Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:04 pm

i have found a short interview video don't tell us much but does have some more pics and with it what the people watching a small teaser trailer thought plus an interview all this i will copy and paste (i have not had a chance to read it yet)

We didn't have a stopwatch at the ready during Konami's unveil of gameplay footage from the controversial war game, Six Days in Fallujah, but it definitely seemed to go by fast. The video, shown during a very high-concept presentation at the publisher's 2009 Gamer's Night, primarily focused on two things: environmental destruction and squad AI.

Atomic Games, developer of the title, seemed very proud of the fact that its game engine allows for buildings to be destroyed down to the individual brick level. While that aspect of the game looked decently realistic, we couldn't help but look confused when the player character magically regained health and US troops seemed to be able to take several more bullets than their adversaries before clocking out. We expected a little more realism from a game being touted as a realistic depiction of a very real battle.

One aspect that did come across was the game's civilian factor. At one point, an unarmed Iraqi throws up his empty hands and the squad stands down -- only to come under fire from an insurgent who's jumped out behind the friendly. Truth be told, the footage did little to convey anything truly unique about a game that's getting a fair amount of attention based on subject matter alone. We sat down with Atomic Games following the demonstration to get its thoughts on the reception and what it hopes to accomplish.

Check out the interview with the game's creators below

As evidenced by the large portion of the 2009 Gamer's Night presentation Konami devoted to it, Six Days in Fallujah, the upcoming third-person action game based on the Iraq War's second battle of Fallujah, is clearly a very big deal for the publisher. Light on actual footage, the segment was focused on the high level of realism and accuracy its developer hopes to instill the title with. Just how accurate? That's what we wanted to find out, so, along with fellow bloggers, we sat down with Atomic Games president Peter Tamte, creative director Juan Benito and US Marine Corps Corporal Michael Ergo, a veteran of the battle and adviser on the game.

You've said you have Marine veterans who fought in the battle actually working on the title. How exactly?

Tamte: It's important for us to say, you know, that there are actually three communities that are very affected by the battle for Fallujah. Certainly the Marines. Certainly the Iraqi civilians within Fallujah, and the insurgents as well. We are actually getting contributions from all three of those communities so that we can get the kind of insight we're trying to get.

When you say insurgents are "contributing," what do you mean, exactly?

Tamte: I need to be careful about the specifics that I give. There's a much broader context to that. I should answer it this way: I think all of us are curious to know why they were there. The insurgents [came from] different countries. And I think we're all kind of curious about you know - they went there knowing that they were going to die, many of them knew that they were going to die, and they went there to die. And I think that that's a perspective that we should all understand.

Have you actually spoken to insurgents?

Tamte: They're involved in the creation of the game as well, as are Iraqi civilians. That's important to us. It's true. The game -- the influences for the game came from the Marines that returned from Fallujah. But quite frankly in talking with them, it's um, many people would just like this to be a recreation and we can't recreate that without getting the perspectives of all the people who were involved.

It was mentioned during the presentation that 47 Marines are working with you.

Tamte: The number of people between Marines, Iraqis and Insurgents are over 47 at this point.

How exactly are the soldiers contributing to the game? You've mentioned maps and battle plans, but do they point to a place on the map and say, "This went down right here?"

Benito: Absolutely. In certain cases we've recreated the battles and engagements of the Marines involved to an extremely high level of detail. Including incorporating some of the Marines who were there at the time during the operation in the location that they were in. And you as a Marine can experience an interact with them and fight right alongside them in the actual event in which they were fighting in the battle of Fallujah.

So the actual troops who are advising you will be in the game? Will you be there? [to Corporal Ergo]

Ergo: It's possible.

Tamte: You will interact with Marines who were in Fallujah in those particular locations.

Benito: We've scanned and recreated their faces and replicated [them] and put them in the game.

Would you say the game is actually going to be "fun"?

Tamte: The words I would use to describe the game -- first of all, it's compelling. And another word I use -- insight. There are things that you can do in video games that you cannot do in other forms of media. And a lot of that has to do with presenting players with the dilemmas that the Marines saw in Fallujah and then giving them the choice of how to handle that dilemma. And I think at that point, you know -- when you watch a movie, you see the decisions that somebody else made. But when you make a decision yourself, then you get a much deeper level of understanding.

Benito: And that's a really important point because we recreate the events as factually and as accurately as we possibly can. And there will be a broad range of reactions and opinions on the experience itself. And for some, they may have fun. They may enjoy it. We are recreating and presenting these events and people, I think, will have their own individual reactions to it and those will be across the board. And that's what we want. We want people to experience something that's going to challenge them, that's going to make them think and provide an unprecedented level of insight into a great military significance.

Ergo: It's an all-encompassing experience. There were a lot of times that were intense, there were a lot of times that were boring. I went on patrol and we adopted a puppy. There's so many things that go into my experience in Fallujah that there's no one word that encompasses that.

Will players encounter situations like friendly fire or accidentally shooting civilians?

Tamte: Yes.

Benito: We wanted to recreate the pressures and conditions the Marines faced and that includes adhering to the proper rules of engagement. So for example, as you may have seen in the demo, there's an unarmed individual at the start and the Marines didn't fire on him because he was unarmed and that was in accord to the rules of engagement at the time.

Will there be portrayals of women being raped or dead children or are you just sticking to the combat?

Tamte: Well, what we're trying to do is recreate the stories of the Marines that we've spoken with and that are involved in the creation. And we're telling those stories of those particular Marines. None of the items that you've mentioned have come up in any of those stories.

Ergo: [Responding to Tamte] That would be accurate to my experience. I never saw any of that.

Benito: It's also important to note that the vast majority of the civilian population was displaced out of the city for weeks prior to the battle. So there were a very small number of civilians who will be part of the experience. We do it in accord to what we have uncovered in our own research.

Tamte: As we've watched the dialog that's taken place about the game, there is definitely one point that we want people to understand about the game. And that is, it's not about the politics of whether the US should have been there or not. It is really about the stories of the Marines who were in Fallujah and the question, the debate about [the politics], that is something that something for the politicians to worry about. We're focused now on what actually happened on the ground.

DOOMED TO CONSUME
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coroner

PostSubject: Re: Six Days in Fallujah   Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:56 am

found some more news out i think from now on with this unless there are videos released i might not post anything more until near the release date next year

The dust has barely settled on the announcement of Six Days in Fallujah, but it once again finds a way into the news. During Konami's Gamer's Day in Frankfurt last week, unnamed representatives for the publisher told GamePro.de that they were waiting to see how Atomic Games would portray the brutal battle for Fallujah before deciding if the game would see a European release. Representatives also told De Telegraaf that it was unclear what the level of violence would be in the "documentary-style" shooter.

Since announcing the title, developer Atomic Games has been publicly lambasted by peace groups, veterans and their families for developing a video game based on an ongoing (and already controversial) war. Recently, a group of US military Iraq War veterans announced support of the title in an interview with G4TV, saying the project could hopefully "bolster support" for troops.

With Konami's European reps questioning a release, we wonder if Six Days in Fallujah will ever step out of the controversy long enough to hit store shelves anywhere.

DOOMED TO CONSUME
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coroner

PostSubject: Re: Six Days in Fallujah   Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:01 pm

In response to a fairly public outcry, Konami has decided not to publish Atomic Games' take on the Iraq War, Six Days in Fallujah, just 21 days after announcing it, according to Asahi

read about that HERE - update link does not work anymore

DOOMED TO CONSUME

Last edited by coroner on Fri May 22, 2009 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gr8gam3r

PostSubject: Re: Six Days in Fallujah   Fri May 22, 2009 6:37 pm

Apparently the daily mail say this is crass, in bad taste and many people want this banned. Also, the daily mail say it's a "survival horror" so you might need to stick to playing puzzle games like resi 5 coroner Razz

Back to top Go down
View user profile
coroner

PostSubject: Re: Six Days in Fallujah   Fri May 22, 2009 9:21 pm

Quote :
the daily mail say it's a "survival horror" so you might need to stick to playing puzzle games like resi 5

your right they are as backwards as that statement

it's a good thing i hate the daily mail and think they are a load of wankers as they always want to ban any game that comes out for one reason or another

i think even if there was a game that featured 3 cute animals like the ones in the pics below and the whole idea of the game was to go around collecting heart shaped sweets and kisses to build up your wuv meter so you could then spread all that wuv over hugs and kisses land they would want to ban it

here are the charaters

then again that is too cute almost makes you sick

yes gamer you can have that idea as a game to develop and you can have the story as deep as you want:P

DOOMED TO CONSUME
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gr8gam3r

PostSubject: Re: Six Days in Fallujah   Fri May 22, 2009 9:25 pm

Ok. Evil Vilan wears the frog hat, the first is our hero and the last is the love interest. The villain wants to... No, wait, I can't be arsed. But yeh, Daily Mail are backwards and awful. This is all like a desert storm in a teacup Smile

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gr8gam3r

PostSubject: Re: Six Days in Fallujah   Sat May 30, 2009 9:52 pm

New Status: Currently Cancelled. Possibility of new publishers picking it up, no status confirmed 100% but Konami HAS dropped it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
coroner

PostSubject: Re: Six Days in Fallujah   Sun May 31, 2009 12:08 pm

yeah i think if they can someone will pick it up i have heard 6 diffrent companies say they would but all rumors but i think it might be a bit too hot so might be a while

will we get the same game if someone else picks it up i think we will have to wait until (or if) it gets picked up and then see what sort of people are doing it

DOOMED TO CONSUME
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gr8gam3r

PostSubject: Re: Six Days in Fallujah   Sun May 31, 2009 12:42 pm

Probably, it's gone through a significant amount of development time to acheive the screens we've seen so far.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Six Days in Fallujah   

Back to top Go down

Six Days in Fallujah
Page 1 of 1