Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to 'The Legion' PS3 Clan Forums

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Heavy Rain (possibly subtitled The Origami Killer)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
coroner

coroner

Heavy Rain (possibly subtitled The Origami Killer) Empty
PostSubject: Heavy Rain (possibly subtitled The Origami Killer)   Heavy Rain (possibly subtitled The Origami Killer) Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 3:53 pm

hi guys

i came across this new game the last time i remember seeing anything about it was around a few years ago they had made a tech demo demonstrating just some of what the graphics and physics would acted and look like well they have taken this forward to the game - heavy rain

from the same people who made Fahrenheit aka Indigo Prophecy - Quantic Dream and Publishers - SCEE comes a PS3 exclusive Mystery/Thriller game that's single player only

demo coming soon on the PSN

Heavy Rain (possibly subtitled The Origami Killer) HR_web

Details about the story and gameplay of Heavy Rain itself remain scarce.
It is known that the game is not a sequel to Fahrenheit, but a completely new game, with new story and new characters.
Heavy Rain "will be a very dark film noir thriller with mature themes", without any supernatural elements.
The game will feature a story that is interactively "bendable", similarly to Fahrenheit.
It's been told by the creators, that "the character control mechanism is an essential part in playing Heavy Rain", and is different from the system used in Fahrenheit.
The player will be able to control different characters in the game.

Executive Producer David Cage gave gamers a teaser by announcing a few details about the game.
"The main story will revolve around 4 different characters, and we're putting the spotlight on their perceptions.
The question 'what is good and what is evil' is the key here, that will be just a matter of viewpoint...I believe heavily in moral choices, I'm going to use them A LOT.
They're not about being good or bad, but about finding the right balance." On the setting, David Cage responded by saying, "I don't want to do a big free-roaming city like GTA, because the flow of the story will then be hard to control. Nevertheless, I do want to incorporate big sets, with a crowd, heavy populated areas like a mall and a subway are going to be in there. Of course, the gameplay has got to make use of that aspect too."

here is a little bit of the feed back from some of the people who played the demo you can see this in the trailer at the bottom of this post

Heavy Rain will be an adult/mature emotional thriller with five overriding points involved within the design.
First, it will be a story-driven experience that is provided not necessarily through cutscenes but through player action. Second, players' actions will have (serious) consequences.
Third, the experience will be emotionally driven and will invoke a dramatic response in the player.
Fourth, the story and subject matter are very much adult in nature.
Lastly, the game will be broadly accessible to a wide variety of players.
The challenge will play out in the player's mind, not on the controller.

Cage also clearly noted that the demo we were going to watch was not going to be part of the proper plot of Heavy Rain. It was a special bonus scene created specifically for the demo and would not play a part in the actual storyline.
Cage and his team didn't want to reveal anything about the story just yet, besides the aforementioned themes.

As the game booted up, Cage commented casually that Heavy Rain will never have to load.
Once you've begun, you play through the entire game without a single loading segment.

The demo began with a motorcycle weaving in and out of traffic on a rain-swept highway.
The woman driving answered a call on a headset as she rode, talking to a co-worker about a lead she had for tracking down a potential murder suspect.
The call was brief and established the fact that this woman, Madison, was gutsy and would be willing to risk her life for this chilling story.

Arriving in a small suburban area, Madison dismounted from her bike and removed her helmet, revealing a beautiful young woman with short cut hair and round, expressive eyes.
Taking a few breaths, she prepared to investigate the unassuming house that stood before her in the rain.
The suspect was a certain Mr. White, a taxidermist, and numerous missing women could be connected to him if the evidence was solid enough.

Then, the player was in control -- with little indication one could actually begin guiding Madison around freely.
The first thing I noticed was the incredible camera system, which changed on occasion to different, highly dramatic angles from a number of atypical locations, like from the house down the street.
Cage explained that the first innovation we would see was the way one makes Madison move: with a trigger.
Pulling a trigger would cause Madison to walk forward, regardless of her orientation. That way, the constantly shifting camera wouldn't disorient the player when they try to move around with a stick.
Rather, the stick is used for rotating Madison's head. She'll walk in the direction she's looking, so movement is done in this manner.

the potential strengths of this unorthodox mechanic are obvious.
All of Madison's animations were virtually perfect, as she moved, reacted and looked around with stunning realism.
Even her idle animation outside was awesome -- crossing her legs for warmth and holding her hand out in the rain.

Madison looked around the front of the house and checked the mailbox.
This was our first look at how the interaction of this game would take place.
Whenever Madison would approach an interactive element, a small directional queue would fade into view on the bottom right corner of the screen.
Pushing that direction would coax Madison to do that action. Speed and rhythm counted in these sections, For example, you could open the mailbox very slowly or quickly; even though the segment looked like a cutscene, you were still in control.

From just a few minutes of searching, Madison found women's catalogues in the mail and discarded heels in the garbage.
With a note of caution, Madison proceeded up to the front door. Most of the following actions were completely controllable during the demo -- even elements that seemed like they were relegated to cutscenes.

On the front porch, Madison knocked on the door but didn't get a response.
The next element of interactivity was revealed here, when a separate queue popped up on the lower left corner of the screen.
A set of words were written in a circle around the small icon of a controller.
Tilting the controller in the direction of a word or phrase would make Madison speak those words.
She called out White's name and yelled hello a few times before walking away. After checking a few more things around the front, Madison headed into the backyard.

Finding that the back window was too high, Madison -- again, using contextual directional inputs and movement controls -- moved a few barrels over to the window in order to make it into the house.
Tapping a button repeatedly, she forced the pane open and slid inside.

Looking around, Madison made a few notes into her recorder and worked her way though the home.
Again, you can interact with a number of different things, but what you do is completely up to you.
Madison slowly walked upstairs and -- after noting the creaking floorboards -- proceeded to explore the upper floor. Then the attractive journalist made a chilling discovery.

Upon entering the bathroom, she discovered a body in the tub, blood coating the porcelain like paint. It was here in the demo that I found Origami Killer to be the most powerful. The emotional response of Madison as she nervously spoke into her recorder was incredible. Seeing her eyes dart around and hearing her charming voice suddenly falter expressed the perfect emotional tone.

The investigation came to a close when Madison arrived at the bedroom. It was filled with the corpses of women, properly stuffed, preserved and positioned around the room in utterly twisted normalcy. After taking a few pictures, Madison prepared to leave. And then (of course) the killer showed up at the home. Once he entered the house, the screen split in two and began to show White's actions on one side and Madison's panicked actions on the other. While White went about his daily routine, you needed to decide how to escape alive. Cage explained that there are a number of different actions you could take, but during the first run-through, Madison tip-toed over the creaky floor, snuck downstairs and made it outside. Jumping onto her motorcycle, and, a few well-executed QTEs later, Madison escaped unscathed.

But that was just one possibility. Cage brought the demo back and showed us that Madison could be discovered by White, she could fight him, or she could even die. Seeing Madison fight the knife-wielding killer was pretty thrilling, because buttons associated with particular items on screen would animate on top of those objects. For example, after being knocked onto the bed, Madison madly clawed for something to defend herself with. As the killer reared back, the camera shook around and you could make out a button prompt stuck to the side of a nearby vase. Hitting it in time would cause Madison to snatch it up and crash it against White's head, buying her more time to escape.

My descriptions can't properly convey how atmospheric and emotional Heavy Rain (Origami Killer) was. This is a game you need to experience yourself. Sure, at its roots it's just an adventure game, but its execution is brilliant so far. Cage ended the demonstration by noting that there will be around sixty scenes like that to play through and no matter what happened, there would never be a game over. Even having a character die, the story would continue on and be influenced by your actions.

in game footage trailer
if you have just read the above then this video is a visual representation of that

i think this looks amazing i did enjoy Fahrenheit aka Indigo Prophecy and if it can immerse you in the world half as much as that did then we are in for a treat but this might not be to everyones taste

Last edited by coroner on Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Typhyn

Typhyn

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Rain (possibly subtitled The Origami Killer)   Heavy Rain (possibly subtitled The Origami Killer) Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 8:00 pm

coroner wrote:
demo will be on the PSN soon

Looks good, bit creepy though! Not due out until "late 2009" though, looking for a demo 'soon' is a bit optimistic if you ask me :-P
Back to top Go down
coroner

coroner

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Rain (possibly subtitled The Origami Killer)   Heavy Rain (possibly subtitled The Origami Killer) Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 8:07 pm

well they have the demo already done that is nothing to do with the over all game i think i might of heard in the next 3 months or so this will continue to give people a small taste and want it more

on the PSN if you download the Convention in Leipzig part 4 at the end they show this game and talk a little more about it also you can download the same trailer that is on here

when i said soon i did not mean just round the corner i should have put a date in but these will always change i will change it to coming soon

Last edited by coroner on Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Typhyn

Typhyn

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Rain (possibly subtitled The Origami Killer)   Heavy Rain (possibly subtitled The Origami Killer) Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 8:38 pm

Oh, I'd be surprised if it came out this year! Sounds like a prologue or something. I'm going to be keeping an eye on this game, bit early to say whether I'll get it or not at the moment.
Back to top Go down
coroner

coroner

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Rain (possibly subtitled The Origami Killer)   Heavy Rain (possibly subtitled The Origami Killer) Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 10:52 am

i would be surprised as well but if i hear something i put it in if i said it was coming out next year then a week from now it came out i would be wrong and Vice-versa i think from now on if i get a date or something i'll just put it in and put subject to change next to it then i will cover my own back so good spot

it don't have anything to do with the game it's just a demo that shows of what can be done in the game and how the game Mechanics work which is why i think they can release this when they want
you think they released the tech demo around 2 years ago and have done nothing untill now as you say it probably wont come out till next year but we can all hope

the only reason i started doing this part of the forum is everyone knows about RE5,killzone 2 and resistance 2 Ect...
but there are some games that people might over look as they are being flooded with info from the top games

i thought this one people might like as it's unique and Original not like any other game coming out
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Rain (possibly subtitled The Origami Killer)   Heavy Rain (possibly subtitled The Origami Killer) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Heavy Rain (possibly subtitled The Origami Killer)
Page 1 of 1