Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to 'The Legion' PS3 Clan Forums

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

modern warefare 2 UK price hike is Activision getting too big for there boots and need taking down a peg or two

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
coroner

coroner

modern warefare 2 UK price hike is Activision getting too big for there boots and need taking down a peg or two Empty
PostSubject: modern warefare 2 UK price hike is Activision getting too big for there boots and need taking down a peg or two   modern warefare 2 UK price hike is Activision getting too big for there boots and need taking down a peg or two Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 2:28 pm

just when i thought activision was just run by a bunch of arseholes after reading the below statement i find they are much much more after reading about the UK only price hike posted last in this post :

copied and pasted
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Activision CEO Bobby Kotick is starting to believe that there isn't enough incentive to release games on the PlayStation 3 or PSP. Proving how confident he is that fanboys don't have his email address, he told The Times, "I'm getting concerned about Sony; the PlayStation 3 is losing a bit of momentum and they don't make it easy for me to support the platform. It's expensive to develop for the console, and the Wii and the Xbox are just selling better."

Kotick openly called for a price cut on the PS3, citing a probable drop in attach rates. We can only imagine how Sony feels about being told its prices are too high by the CEO of the company behind (according to retailers) the $200 Band Hero box.

When we look at 2010 and 2011," Kotick said, "we might want to consider if we support the console - and the PSP [portable] too." It's worth noting that, according to this Gamasutra report, both Call of Duty 4 and World at War moved fewer copies on PS3 than on Xbox -- but both broke a million on PS3, which would lead us to consider them "hits." Update: Sony comments, after the break.

[Via Gizmodo; thanks, Ted]

A Sony spokesperson told Joystiq: "PlayStation has tremendous momentum coming out of E3, and we are seeing positive growth with more than 350 titles slated to hit across all our platforms, including many anticipated games from our publishing partners. We enjoy healthy business relationships with and greatly value our publishing partners and are working closely with them to deliver the best entertainment experience."

Well, talk about a non-answer.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

people siad it was all just a scare tactic to try and get sony to lower the price (who the hell do they think they are) but Sony's Sir Howard Stringer had this to say about it copied and pasted below:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sony's Sir Howard Stringer wasn't scared by Activision CEO Bobby Kotick's suggestion that his company may have to stop supporting the PlayStation 3 if the price didn't decrease. "He likes to make a lot of noise," Stringer said, discussing the statement at the Allen & Company Sun Valley Conference -- the same event at which, last year, he described the Wii as "an expensive niche game device." "He's putting pressure on me and I'm putting pressure on him. That's the nature of business."

If Sony cut the price of the PS3 as Kotick suggested, Stringer said that "I (would) lose money on every PlayStation I make -- how's that for logic." It's actually a kind of logic that Sony is quite familiar with, given that the company loses money on every PlayStation 3 it makes right now.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well now there has been another announcement about the price of MW2 price hike only for the UK info copied and pasted below:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We've seen the gaming industry putting them through the financial wringer many times in the past, but a recent report from MCV describes the cruelest economic hardships they've ever had to face -- Activision has kicked the UK price of Modern Warfare 2 up to £54.99 (close to $90), and according to the report, other publishers may plan to follow suit, raising the prices on their titles as we move into the holiday season.

The price hike is attributed to rising game development costs and the faltering strength of the pound -- still, compared to last holiday season, when titles like Prince of Persia and Far Cry 2 hit store shelves for around £40, it's a pretty sizable leap to make in just one year. However, not everyone is following Activision's example -- Electronic Arts responded to MCV's report, confirming that it would not increase the RRP of its holiday releases. We'll see which strategy pays off once the smoke from the holiday shopping season clears.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i mean who do they think they are they need to be taken down a peg or two we have seen all this from other companys that get too big for their boots like EA and look at them now after they got a beating i thought it was bad when they put it up to £45 but now £55 that is what the Original RRP was before the console came out

if this carries on i think a lot of people will be joining gamer and not getting it but not for the same reasons

i think this might just be one of those publicity stunts like their singularity one where that have now move said game to next year in fear that no one will buy it so close to MW2 but with this one they could put the price up and then at the last minute put the price back down and for them to say "we have done it for the loyal gamers" so it makes them look good
Back to top Go down
Gr8gam3r

modern warefare 2 UK price hike is Activision getting too big for there boots and need taking down a peg or two Empty
PostSubject: Re: modern warefare 2 UK price hike is Activision getting too big for there boots and need taking down a peg or two   modern warefare 2 UK price hike is Activision getting too big for there boots and need taking down a peg or two Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 2:53 pm

I hnestly think that Infinity ward could serve up a plate of shit and think that people will pay loads for it. They've allready been too cocky. I'll probably get the game, but it'll be one of those "missed the first time round" games. And with that news as well we can't let them get away with this. The only reason IW is acting like this is looking at their pre order sheets. I be thtey're trying to sneakily increase the price so people who have allready pre ordered pay more. It makes me sick.
All this and I can allready predict the reviews,
"MW2 is good, but it's not as ground breaking or amazing as COD4. The game hasn't come far in terms of gameplay and it seems to now suffer from the Hollywood virus. 85/100". I fact... this gives me an idea. Check Off Topic soon.
Back to top Go down
coroner

coroner

PostSubject: Re: modern warefare 2 UK price hike is Activision getting too big for there boots and need taking down a peg or two   modern warefare 2 UK price hike is Activision getting too big for there boots and need taking down a peg or two Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 12:24 pm

well i am glad that the place i get my games from don't put the price up if it does go up but will reduce it if it goes down

activision will learn the hard way if all this comes to fruition like so many before them

few options to screw over activision without missing out on the games

1.if you just want to play the game and don't want to play the game online (why would you want to play online as the servers would still suck even with all the loads of new money they would be getting) then rent it you still get to play the game but you don't give them your money

2.if online is your thing or you want to own the game for your collection then buy second hand gone are the days that second hand is yucky and icky plus again you will not only get it cheap but you won't be giving them your money
Back to top Go down
Gr8gam3r

PostSubject: Re: modern warefare 2 UK price hike is Activision getting too big for there boots and need taking down a peg or two   modern warefare 2 UK price hike is Activision getting too big for there boots and need taking down a peg or two Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 7:04 am

Wellto be fair it all looks like shit Razz there's riot shields in multiplayer = campers dream, tucked away in a corner with an extra portable wall, and single player looks like HollyYAWN. Smile
Back to top Go down
coroner

coroner

PostSubject: Re: modern warefare 2 UK price hike is Activision getting too big for there boots and need taking down a peg or two   modern warefare 2 UK price hike is Activision getting too big for there boots and need taking down a peg or two Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 9:30 am

here is a little more info to grind your teeth over copied and pasted below:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Pachter deems UK's Modern Warfare 2 price hike a 'test'

How much are you willing to pay for Infinity Ward's latest tunnel-of-fun shooter? Is it £54.99 (close to $90)? If so, you've passed what Michael Pachter calls "a one-time test for Activision." Or maybe Activision is passing the test. The point is ... nobody likes taking tests! No, that's not it.

The Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst has told Eurogamer that Modern Warfare 2's higher retail price -- allegedly spurred on by the Euro's strength against the British Pound -- stems from a calculated business decision. "Activision knows it has a 'hot' game, knows that the market will pay an additional 10 per cent, and has decided to increase price accordingly," Pachter said, adding that the Pound was worth less last year when Call of Duty: World at War launched. Pachter speculates that should the gamble pay off, consumers can expect other games to similarly prod established price boundaries.

But you guys aren't going to let that happen! And you're certainly not going to spend a fortune on some goggles and a useless plastic head, right?

Hello? Anyone?

by Ludwig Kietzmann
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: modern warefare 2 UK price hike is Activision getting too big for there boots and need taking down a peg or two   modern warefare 2 UK price hike is Activision getting too big for there boots and need taking down a peg or two Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

modern warefare 2 UK price hike is Activision getting too big for there boots and need taking down a peg or two
Page 1 of 1